Monday, October 27, 2014
This weekend I made some progress on the washi-inspired patchwork project I'm working on for a swap. I made a big panel of patchwork and then cut it up again. I was a bit scared of that step, but I thought it would be necessary for achieving the effect I was hoping for. I won the ruler some years ago in a giveaway online and had never used it before. It seemed like a useful tool for this project.
As you can see I cut up the panel quite randomly, some pieces a bit askew, some straight and I took care to cut some in both directions, so the text fabrics would stay more or less the correct way up when put together again. Of course this process has left me with a certain amount of scraps, but I don't mind. I think I'll use those to make a little pouch for myself.
I think I will add in some more of the "tape" stripes in between these pieces, let's see if it works out the way I imagined!
Thursday, October 16, 2014
Above you can see a number of fabrics I've been playing around with for a swap. I decided to use the Washi tape fabric as the main source of inspiration for both colours and shapes of my project for my partner.
I wasn't quite sure if I could recreate what I had in mind, but so far I like what came to be. The largely improv nature of sewing, planning and constructing this project has been quite meditative. It will be interesting to see how the project will turn out in the end!